DSS/V8/DSS Express/Instruction/DSS Upgrade
Cautions and Disclaimers
- This document shows how to update from DSS V8.0.4 to DSS V8.1
- Please note that the following instructions only apply to DSS Baseline. If you are using a customized version of DSS, that will be a case-by-case discussion if you want the update. Please consult Tech Support for more information
- Only Baseline DSS Express and DSS Professional can be upgraded in this way
- Because DSS is Server-client structure, you need to upgrade DSS Server before upgrading DSS Client
Step by Step Instructions
Part 0: Check the Current DSS Version
Log into DSS Client and select [About]
Here you can see the DSS Server Version. Make sure the Installation Package is later than this version.
Part 1: Back up the current system Database – this will prevent data loss in case of update failure
1. Go to the Home menu of DSS – Select [Backup and Restore]
2. Click on the folder icon to select the directory where you want to save the backup file. Then, click on [Backup Now]
3. Insert the Login Password of DSS Client and Encryption Password twice.
In the end, Click on OK and DSS will export the Backup File automatically.
4. When DSS finishes exporting the Backup File, you will receive a prompt message saying Backup successful
Part 2: Upgrade DSS Server
5. Go to DSS Service Manager and click on [Stop All] to temporarily pause DSS Services.
6. Click on [OK] to continue
7. Make sure DSS Services are stopped
8. Double click to run the newer version of DSS Installation Package
9. DSS Package will automatically detect the older version and overwrite the current directory. Click on [OK] to continue
10. Select [Agree] and click on [Next]
11. As you can see, you cannot manually change the installation path, because DSS Installation Package will automatically detect and overwrite the existing directory of DSS Server
12. Click on Install and wait for the Upgrade to complete
13. Click on [Run] and wait for DSS Services to restart
Part 3: Upgrade DSS Client
14. Run DSS Client as usual, and log in.
15. Then DSS Client will tell you to do an Update. Click on [Update Now]
16. DSS Client will automatically download the newer package
17. Then the upgrade will start. DSS Client Installation Package will detect the older version of DSS Client and overwrite it. Click on [OK] to continue
18. Select [Agree] and [Next]
19. As you can see, DSS Client Installation Package detects the existing DSS Client Directory and is ready to overwrite it
20. Click on [Install] and wait for the update to complete
21. In the end, click on run, log in and use DSS as usual.
22. You can go to [About] to check the current version of DSS